An ambitious and multilingual curriculum with paths of excellence
One of the priorities of Ecole du Nord is the focus on excellence in languages. Mauritius is a country whose administrative language is English. Creole is the most widely used language for oral communication, followed by spoken and written French. Although English is the language of instruction in the Mauritian system, French is deeply rooted in the country. To take into account the specificities of Mauritius and the challenges of tomorrow’s citizens, the teaching of English at Ecole du Nord is a priority at all levels and begins in pre-primary.
In Primary – Pre-primary and Primary
- Increased number of hours of exposure to English throughout pre-primary, by an external teacher (one speaker = one language).
- Reinforced schedules in primary for all, beyond the requirements of the International Section.
- Groups of language skills from CM1 class.
Articles : Around the world, My little monster, “Chorales de Noël”, Merry Christmas
In secondary school
Differentiated teaching in English, which aims for excellence according to the abilities of the students
FOR ALL SECONDARY STUDENTS *
- Schedule reinforced in 6 ° and groups of skills on each level to promote student progress,
- “Booster” scheme for students entering Ecole du Nord mid-path in order to strengthen their language skills.
Articles: The Quest for the Holy Grail, My Bucket List Scrapbook, Escape game – Irregular verbs, Productions poétiques en Anglais, « Global Village », Des poèmes acrostiches, JOB INTERVIEW, Invasion of the Vikings, Quiz contest – About JOE Dalton and DONALD Duck, “Chorales de Noël”
* The collège is the lower-level secondary school for students from 11 to 15. There are four levels: 6ème (lowest), 5ème, 4ème, 3ème (highest). The syllabus offers a general education and consists of French, mathematics, history, civics, biology, physics, technology, art, music, and physical education. At the end of 3ème, students sit the Diplôme National du Brevet. The test is on French, mathematics, history/geography and science/technology. They must also reach A2 level in another language.
- British International Section from 6°. It includes 10 hours of English per week (Language, Literature, and History-Geography) delivered by native speaker teachers with a British Teaching Diploma from the University of Sheffield (PGCE). This option is the preferred entry route for successfully sitting the IGCSE as a first language in Seconde* and for the INTERNATIONAL BACCALAUREATE OPTION.
Articles : Create your own adventure, Photography competition, Join the International Section, The Whale Rider, The SI Cookbook, The City of Joy, Mental Health issues, National Puppy Day, St Patrick’s Day party, Black Lives Matter, The city of your dreams, Water, water everywhere, not a single drop to drink, Animal farm
- European Section “language & culture” option from 6eme as well. It includes 6 hours of English per week (2 hours of language & civilization). This option is the preferred entry route for successfully sitting the IGCSE as a second language in Seconde* and continuing the EUROPEAN SECTION at lycée*.
Articles : Australia project, Travel in the 19th century, « Global Village »
* The Lycée is the upper-level secondary school preparing pupils for the French baccalauréat. The levels are: Seconde, Première and Terminale (BAC).
German or Spanish, and the Latin option in college
- 5°, 4°, 3°: the choice is made before starting 5° between German and Spanish as a second language (3 hours from 5° to 3°).
Articles : Ecrire un conte de fées en allemand, Mein bester Freund / Meine beste Freundin, S’amuser et apprendre en Espagnol, « Global Village »
- 5°, 4°, 3°: Students may also choose to enrol for the Latin option (2 hours from 5° to 3°).
Articles : Les latins étudient et exposent
While at the Lycée des Mascareignes, pupils of Ecole du Nord have the opportunity to take certifications in one or more modern languages: English, Spanish and German.
DELE (Diploma de Español como Lengua Extranjera) Cervantes
The Lycée des Mascareignes has been a DELE examination centre since 2017. The DELE is an official diploma, issued by the Cervantes Institute on behalf of the Spanish Ministry of Education, attesting to the level of competence and mastery of the Spanish language. It is recognized internationally and is even requested by some employers or at some universities.
The KMK certification (Kultusministerfkonferenz) is an exam which certifies a level of German language skills recognized throughout Europe. Since 2015, the Lycée des Mascareignes has become a “Pasch-Schule” and is part of a network of around 1,800 schools around the world that promote learning German. Since March 2016, all German students in the Seconde class can take the A2 certification. They also have the opportunity to take the A2 / B1 exams in order to obtain the DSD I diploma (Deutsches Sprachdiplom I). These exams are organized by the Central Agency for German Establishments Abroad (ZfA) and the Federal Administration (Bundesverwaltungsamt).